Friday, June 02, 2006

On Wearing a "Dog-Collar"


I have an old friend, about my age, who is an Anglican priest in a very orthodox American denomination of churches who have either broken away from, or never joined, the liberal Episcopal Church U.S.A. Brian is a rather high-church sort-of a fellow, which means that whenever I meet with him he's decked out in a clergy-shirt and a large cross necklace. Last week we met for a meeting in a local saloon, and he was wearing his usual "clerical," except this time with shorts. Needless to say, he tends to turn a few heads. But more interestingly, he also attracts a lot of people who want to talk to him about God and their souls. About two years ago I was late to meet him in another restaurant, and by the time I got there he was, somehow, holding court at the bar with several drinkers who had layed into him with all manner of theological questions. I asked Brian about this phenomena, and he said when he is wearing his collar he is routinely approached by people in the street who want to get right with God, confess their sins, etc. Routinely.
Many of us who do full-time church ministry wish we had more contact with non-Christians, more chances to get out of the church-ghetto and into real conversations with people who may be asking important spiritual questions. In light of Brian's experiences, putting on a clergy shirt and walking downtown sounds almost too easy. I've started doing a little on-line research on the topic and have found many similar testimonials from pastors who simply don the collar, and watch the sparks fly. What might happen if a pastor were to put on a collar, take a seat by himself in a bar or coffeehouse, and just wait? I'm contemplating running this experiment myself. Some of the standard objections to wearing a collar don't quite stand up, either. The clergy shirt has no historical tie to Roman Catholicism, as some fear, since the typical clery shirts styles were first used by Protestants. How about the potential problem overly distinguishing a pastor from other Christians, i.e. somehow denying the "priesthood of all believers"? Martin Luther, the first developer of that doctrine, still wore some form of distinct attire, as do most Lutheran pastors (at least while conducting services). Most Protestant denominations have used collars at the discretion of the individual minister, though the practice seems to have declined in the mid-twentieth century when clergy were trying to de-emphasize the clergy/laity distinction. But, I'd argue, whatever else the priesthood of the believer means, it does not erase the distinction in calling between the believer who is an ordained minister from the believer who is a doctor, engineer, construction worker, etc. The shirt simply communicates, "I'm a pastor" in the same way that other dress communicates "I'm a pilot," "I'm a police officer," "I'm a dentist," etc. And, to wear to the collar in public really would seem to say, "I'm a minister, and I'm on the job. How can I help you?" It's almost too easy.

For a lot more info on this, check out www.kencollins.com/pray-26.htm and as well as a pictorial guide to "clericals" (street wear) versus "vestments" (attire for use during public worship) see kencollins.com/glossary/vestments.htm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me how it works Brian, perhaps I will don the collar in Paso, we can go in on a volume order for clerical shirts. Another plus - it will simplify my daily struggle of what to wear.

Anonymous said...

http://www.reallivepreacher.com/node/116

dug the post. It reminded me of this post from one of my favorite bloggers. check out his story in the archives for a really interesting read.

Anonymous said...

dug the post. reminds me of a story from one of my favorite bloggers.
http://www.reallivepreacher.com/node/116
check out his story and the archives for a very interesting read.

Anonymous said...

I have always liked clergy attire. The un-notched Anglican collar is a
conversation starter and a clear reminder for ourselves that we are speaking
for God. Originally here in San Francisco Fred decided against clerical attire because
of bad associations some had with the Catholic Church. It was in the heyday
of the sexual scandals in Northern California so he opted for business
attire. I have moved lately to wearing a black mock turtleneck with a
pectoral cross. Scot just bought a pectoral too. We will be discussing
attire at our planning meeting this Thursday.

Mike Hayes
Associate Pastor
City Church of San Francisco

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the tradition came from a Roman civil judges attire. Church courts during the days of the early church were evidently so succesful that some Roman leader or another made pastors wear judicial garb as a complement. As if to say "Here you can get justice". Don't know if it's true or not, but one kind of hopes it is...

father foos said...

Hey Doctor!

I know I'm a little late on this one...but you could of mentioned that you were using me as a subject on your blog!

The conversations continue...but not all of it is positive: I think I told you about the story of the gentleman in the grocery store who asked me if I was a priest (I was wearing clericals). My temptation, of course, is to say, "No, I just enjoy the comfort of this collar." In reality, I said, "yes, I am," and I prayed that God would give me the wisdom to deal with this person and shed the light of the gospel on whatever question he might have, etc.

Of course, he then said: "May I ask you a question?"

I replied, "Of course." So, just as I was preparing to be quite holy and priestly and all that (in sincerity, mind you), he then asked, "Do you really believe all that sh__?"

So, of course, the bad comes along with the good.

Also, a clerical collar is really only part of a priest's public garb. Technically, the full public garb of an Anglican priest is collar, cassock, tippet and MA gown. I'll dig up a picture sometime and show you.

Most priests who are more traditional tend to wear the cassock. I do--especially when school's in. Summers are pretty loose for me and I might be in clericals and shorts, or I might be at the coffee shop catching up on some work after matins and be in my cassock.

It still turns some heads around here, though not right around the vicinity of the school, as all the faculty is in either academic gowns or cassocks.

Brian, you'll have to get up here in early October or something to see the school in action--since you're on the board....

Final thought--wearing clericals and cassock doesn't particularly phase me since I wear them all the time--in other words, sometimes I'm thinking: "Why did that person give me such a weird look?" But...my students and fellow staff, when traveling, get quite a kick out of other people's responses to me. Of course, the response is probably even bigger as I am 6 foot three inches and well over 200 pounds. Thus, a big, bald man in black. Students don't usually give me too much trouble either....